Monday 14 December 2009

A last walk

house_20091105_D_050317

Spindle Trees

I spent the week after I returned from India and before leaving for Madeira last November visiting my parents at home in Kent. On this day, the 5th of November, my Dad felt strong enough to go for a short walk in the winter sunshine. I didn't know then that this would be our last walk together.

As usual he was patient whilst I took some shots of this dead tree and later we admired the pink and orange berries on the spindle trees in the hedges. These trees are inconspicuous for most of the year but in the autumn the strange shapes and colours of the berries stand out. He has one planted in the front garden and I think I shall get one too for my garden.

house_20091105_D_050341

He'd told me in the past that the Spindle-tree (Euonymus europaeus) was so named for its traditional use in spindles for looms.

No comments:

Post a Comment